A Sorrel is a Caribbean drink made from Roselle, not from the spinachy sorrel leaves as I first thought… =) For many people this is a Christmas drink, but if you ask me you can drink it whenever you fancy a drink with a zing.
- 4 packs of dried or freshly picked sorrel
- 4 chunks of fresh ginger
- a bottle of pimentos
- 2lb bag of sugar
- a large pot of water
- Boil water with sorrel and small pieces of ginger – mix occasionally – until water turns red.
- Take pot off cooker, cover it and allow to brew over night.
- Using a strainer, pour liquid into pitcher or bottle making sure no sediments are let through.
- Sweeten to taste with sugar and add pimentos for spice.
- Drink hot as tea or chilled in a glass.