With summer on our doorstep, salads seem to be more tempting again. I don’t know about you, but certain food I just refuse to eat in the winter and certain food I won’t have in the summer. Salad as a main dish is summer food to me, so this is when I begin to dig the big salad bowls out and experiment with whatever I can find on my shelves and at my local greengrocer’s.
This salad gets its tart, spicy touch from the escoveitch sauce, which is a Jamaican pickle sauce.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 90ml Walkerswod Escoveitch Sauce
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- A mix of ‘normal’ salad ingredients like lettuce leaves, tomatoes, cucumber slices etc
- Season the chicken breasts with garlic, salt, pepper and fresh thyme and grill them.
- Heat Escoveitch sauce adding julienned carrots and onion slices.
- Slice chicken and pour pickles and sauce over.
- Allow chicken to cool.
- Mix chicken with salad.
- Add some of the sauce – how much depends on your taste – and a little olive/vegetable oil.