We just luurrvveeee seafood in this house. I must admit I prefer them as ‘au naturale’ as possible, but he wants his food infused with spice which is why my kitchen is all about fusion food and compromises.
Here’s a real treat – seafood infused with coconut, saffron, garlic and thyme. Lovely with rice, a nice home made bread, a salad and a chilled white wine. Using Walkerswood’s ready-made rundown sauce makes this recipe a quick but delicious choice.
- 20 large raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 500 lobster, shelled & cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks escallion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 0,5 tsp saffron strands
- 0,5 lime, juiced
- 2 jars Walkerswood Rundown Sauce
- 2 tsp thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare the shrimp and lobster.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over moderate heat.
- Saute escallion, tomatoes, garlic and saffron for 5 mins.
- Add shrimp, lobster, salt and black pepper and let simmer.
- Stir in chopped herbs and cook for 5minutes. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
Up for something exotic with a touch of coconut? Why not try this Chicken Rundown with wine and one of our tasty rice dishes like Callaloo Rice or Rice & Peas?
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2tbsp white wine
- 1 jar Walkerswood Coconut Rundown Sauce
- 1dl fresh cream
- 2tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- leaves from a big sprig of thyme
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1tsp grated fresh ginger root (optional)
- Wash and dry chicken and cut into cubes.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 1hour in the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper onion and ginger.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Remove the chicken and reserve the seasonings.
- Saute chicken pieces until brown.
- Add reserved seasonings and cook for 1minute.
- De-glaze pan with wine, add coconut rundown sauce and cream, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Add the cilantro.
- Serve with Callaloo Rice or Rice & Peas
The first time I heard about the rundown it didn’t sound as something I’d like, but taste is a funny thing and when it comes to food you just have to taste your way to the descision. Sometimes things that sound as if the would clash (like strawberries and chilli) make excellent taste fusions.
A rundown is basically a mix of coconut, plantains and veggies and it can also contain chicken or shrimps. This is a quick version where we use Walkerswoods Rundown Sauce to make it.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 green bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 chochos (christophenes), peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 escallion (spring onion) stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 okras, trimmed and sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 0,5 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 300ml Walkerswood Coconut Rundown Sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the sweet potatoes, bananas and chochos in a saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Boil for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain
- Heat the oil and then add the escallion, garlic, okras and tomatoes and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the boiled vegetables, allspice, tyme and coconut rundown sauce and cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Enjoy as it is or with rice!