A pie that is lovely to eat as it is with a savoury sauce and a fresh salad, but it also works nicely as a side dish with meat, chicken and fish. This is a recipe you can make different versions of. Try to add mince meat and/or a few cloves of garlic and/or some single cream. Or make it with ordinary potatoes.
- 50g butter/margarine
- 1 onion
- 2 spring onion stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1tsp fresh thyme
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tin of callaloo or spinach (or get it fresh if you can!)
- 2kg sweet potato
- 0,5tsp ground allspice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180*
- Slice the sweet potato and chop all the other veggies
- Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the veggies (start with onions, then add the others in order of how long they need to be cooked) with the spices
- Place half of the sweet potato slices in a greased babking dish.
- Spread the sauted veggies over the potatoes
- Place the rest of the potatoe slices on top
- Sprinkle with allspice and cover with greaseproof paper
- Bake for about 45mins (make sure potatoes are thoroughly cooked
Serves 4-8 people depending on how hungry they are and whether you serve it as a side dish or a main course.