This is an absolutely gorgeous chocolate fudge cake for one of those days when you just neeeeeed a choccie overload… =) Chocolate sponge sandwiched with chocolate and topped with even more chocolate! Yum scrumm for all us chocoholics out there…
- 100g spreadable butter
- 250ml milk
- 1 tbsp red vinegar
- 100g plain chocolate, melted
- 15g cocoa powder
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- Icing: 225g plain chocolate, 100g butter and 142ml carton double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Grease a round deep cake tin and line with baking paper
- Mix milk and vinegar
- Place all other cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Pour in the milk mixture and whisk until smooth
- Spread into the baking tin and bake for an hour until firm in the centre
- Cool for 10mins, then turn out on a rack to cool completely
- Meanwhile, make the icing by melting the chocolate and butter together in the microwave for 3 minutes on medium heat, stirring after 90s. Stir until smooth then beat in the cream. Cool slightly.
- Halve the cake through the middle and spread half of the icing on the bottom half and sandwich together.
- Spread the rest of the icing over the top and sides of the cake
- If you want to, you can sift a little icing sugar over the cake and decorate with strawberries or something.