This is one of my compromise cuisine creations – an orange sauce with a hint of rum and dark chocolate. Tastes lovely with poultry but is also quite interesting together with “meatier” fish. As usual, I don’t really measure the ingredients, so you’ll have to tweak it a little and taste your way to your perfect blend.
- 2 cups of orange juice
- juice and finely grated zest from 1 orange
- juice and finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- dark chocolate (I love Green & Blacks Maya Gold) about 1/2 a bar
- spiced rum
- double cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- Bring the orange juice and squeezed lemon juice to boil and let it simmer until half the fluid remains
- Add dark chocolate, rum and the orange and lemon peel and leave to rest for about half an hour
- Bring to boil again and add a dollop of cream, salt and pepper to taste
- Mix 1tbsp arrowroot with the juice from the orange and add to the sauce
- Stir for a minute and allow the sauce to thicken
Serve the sauce on the side or pour it over the chicken. Looks lovely with a few thin slices of orange and some finely chopped orange zest for decoration.