In the West Indies it seems any hot drink can pass for tea. Coffee tea, cocoa tea… John even calls mulled wine “wine tea” which I find hilarious! =)
Anyway, here’s a lush cocoa tea that has corn starch in it making it thicker than normal chocolate, but if you don’t like it thick you can leave it out.
- 1/2 cup grated local cocoa stick (or 1/4 cup cocoa powder)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cream or milk
- Sugar to sweeten
- Bay leaf
- (1 Tablespoon cornstarch)
- Put water to boil with cinnamon and bay leaf. Boil for about 15 mins.
- Grate cocoa stick and add to the boiling water; boil for another 10 mins.
- Add cream (or milk).
- Sweeten to taste.
- (Mix the cornstarch with water and add slowly to the boiling mixture, stirring all the time.)
- Add vanilla.
- Strain and serve.
- Add whipped cream and flaked chocolate to make it extra yummy.