When I met John I had never even tasted corned beef as I was convinced it was cat food… =) My man, however, is of the opinion that unless you’ve tasted it you’re not allowed to diss it, so he made me this dish one day and I loved it!
It is simple and cheap and can be eaten as it is with a bit of bread, or together with pasta, rice or veggies. You can also substitute the corned beef for tinned fish if you’re not in a beefy mood.
- 1 tin corned beef
- 1 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- some (fresh) thyme
- 1 tbsp oil (not olive!)
- Maggi liquid seasoning
- hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and thyme
- Put oil in a skillet and saute the veggies
- Add corned beef and allow to boil with sauteed veggies
- Add liquid seasoning, pepper sauce, salt and pepper to taste
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 mins so that the flavours get a chance to mix and mingle
This is simple to make and so cheap you can feed the whole family for less than a fiver even if you have to make a double. For a single person this is food for 2-3 meals, so works a treat for the budget. Personally I count it as comfort food and I always have a couple of tins of corned beef in the cupboard these days.