Callaloo is the spinach of the West Indies. I have not found fresh callaloo in the UK yet, although I saw that you could buy the seeds off eBay. When I get my own garden, methinks there will be a few stands of callaloo in there.
This is a side dish that goes well with most fish, seafood and chicken dishes.
- 2 cups unprocessed white rice
- 1 tin callaloo
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced with the peel on
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- Combine all ingredients with 11 dl (just over a litre!) of water and bring to boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer gently until rice is done, ie approx 30-40mins
This can also be done with processed rice, but it won’t get the same taste as the ingredients won’t get as much time to set.