Chicken is an all-time favourite in this house. A friend of mine calls it the Black Man’s Trap and says chicken is the reason why there are no black superheroes. I don’t know about that, but I do know chicken is always chicken and a touch of mint gives it a special kind of umph!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1tsp ginger
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp red pepper
- 1 lime
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 orange
- 0,5 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- 2tbsp chilli sauce
- 0,25tsp allspice
- 0,5tsp nutmeg
- 2sprigs (or more) fresh mint
- Dice the chicken, place it in a bowl and add ginger, paprika, red pepper and zest from the lime.
- Place in fridge for a minimum of 15 mins, but ideally over night.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add sliced onions, yellow bell pepper and crushed garlic.
- Fry al dente (roughly 3mins) and remove from heat.
- Put veggies on a plate for later.
- Heat skillet again and fry the chicken for 3-4 mins.
- Add the juice from the lime and the orange, 2tsp orange zest, chilli sauce, allspice and nutmeg.
- When liquid comes to a boil, add the veggies and the cornstarch.
- Let simmer for a couple of minutes until it gets the right sauciness (pun intended!)
- Add mint and serve over rice.